I need your help in securing new playgrounds at the following 49th Ward parks:
- Howard Beach Park, 7519 N. Easlake (Howard Street at the Lake)
- Langdon Playlot Park, 1745 W. Albion (at Ravenswood); and
- Pottawattomie Park, 7340 N. Rogers (just west of the Metra Tracks)
The playgrounds are under consideration for renovation through the through the Chicago Park District’s Chicago Plays! Playground Replacement Program, which replaces aging playgrounds with safer and more accessible playgrounds.
Renovation of these playgrounds is not automatic. The proposed renovations are subject to a nomination and approval processadministered by Friends of the Parks, a park advocacy organization, dedicated to preserving, protecting, and improving Chicago’s parks. The Pottawattomie Park Advisory Council and the Baby Wranglers of East Rogers Park, a neighborhood parents group, nominated these three Rogers Park playgrounds for overhauls.
The next step in the approval process requiresa demonstration of community support.
Here’s where you come in. We need you to go online and “vote” for all three parks up for nomination. Thedeadline for the voting is this Wednesday, July 23rd, at 11:59 p.m.
The voting process is somewhat cumbersome, but with a little persistence, your vote will help the neighborhood receive three completely new playgrounds.
Allow me to walk you through the process.
- Go to www.ImproveChiParks.com. Click on the “Sign up” icon located at the top right hand corner of the home page.
- Sign up using your email address or Facebook account by providing the information requested.
- Go to your email and look for a message from “Improve Chicago Parks.” Open the email and click on the link provided to open your account.
- Once you are logged in, click on the magnifying glass icon located on the upper right hand corner of the page.
- Type in the words Howard Beach in the “Search for Ideas” box and click on the magnifying glass icon. This will take you to the Howard Beach Park nomination page.
- Click on the third star, which indicates you ‘love” the nomination of Howard Beach for a new playground.
- Next, type in the words Langdon Playlot in the Search for Ideas box, which will take you to the Langdon Playlot Park nomination page, and click on the third star.
- Finally, type in the word Pottawattomie in the Search for Ideas box, which will take you to the Pottawattomie Park nomination page, and click on the third star for the two nominations on this page. Make sure you spell “Pottawattomie” correctly (to be safe, you may want to copy the name ofPottawattomie Park here and paste it in the Search for Ideas box).
Help spread the word! Share each of the park improvement nominations on your social media accounts and/or forward this email to your friends and neighbors and tell them to “love” the nominations.
Last year, four 49th Ward parks were selected for new playgrounds through Chicago Plays!Goldberg, Matanky and Paschen Parks have already received their new playgrounds and construction of a new playground at Lazarus Parkis underway. Touhy Park also received a new playground last year last year (see photo at right), funded through my Participatory Budgeting process.
If enough people go online to “love” the Howard Beach, Langdon Playlot and Pottawattomie Parks nominations, the 49th Ward will boast 11 new playgrounds by the end of next year. So please visitwww.ImproveChiParks.com now and support the new playground nominations!