The Chicago Housing Authority’s (CHA) Wait List Lottery registration is OPEN now through Monday, November 24th. Those who are selected in the lottery will be added to the CHA’s wait list, which is used to fill affordable CHA-owned and assisted units in the City of Chicago as they become available.
To register for the Wait List Lottery, CLICK HERE.
You may register for all three of the CHA wait lists–Family Public Housing, Housing Choice Voucher (formerly Section 8), and Property Rental Assistance–at the same time.
- The Family Public Housing program provides affordable housing assistance to low income individuals and families in properties owned and operated by the CHA.
- The Housing Choice Voucher program provides housing assistance to low income individuals and families using a voucher in the private rental market (voucher is provided to the applicant).
- The Property Rental Assistance program provides housing assistance to low income individuals and families using a property based voucher in eligible properties (voucher is provided to landlord for specific unit).
All registration forms received during the registration period will be placed in the lottery. The demand for CHA housing is far greater than the supply. The lottery ensures that everyone who completes a registration form will have an equal chance to be added to the wait list.
Applicants selected by the lottery for the wait list will be screened to confirm that they meet the basic requirements for the programs to which they are applying:
- Must be 18 years of age or older
- Must meet income guidelines as set by the U.S. Department of Housing and Economic Development. Your household income must not exceed 80% of the “Area Median Income.” To determine if your household qualifies, CLICK HERE.
- Must meet eligibility guidelines found in the CHA’s Administration Plan or Admissions and Continued Occupancy Policy. To view and/or download those policies, CLICK HERE.
You may register online any time by completing the CHA’s Wait List Lottery Registration Form at:
You do not need a personal computer to register; you can register by smartphone or tablet, or by visiting any Chicago Public Library branch which provides free access to the internet.
If you’d like assistance registering for the CHA Waitlist Lottery, two Rogers Park agencies are available to help you.
- Trilogy Behavioral Healthcare, 1400 W. Greenleaf, is open Monday through Friday from 9:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. Please call 773-564-4709 for an appointment.
- Northside Community Development Corporation, 1530 W. Morse, is open Monday through Friday from 9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. Please call 773-262.-290 extension 14 for an appointment.
If you are applying for the lottery, I wish you the best of luck!