As part of the City’s ongoing efforts to upgrade our water and sewer infrastructure, new sewer mains will be installed over the next few months in the area bounded by Howard, Touhy, Damen and Western. The new sewer mains will replace approximate 4,800 feet of 100-year-old pipes.
The installation of new, larger sewer mains will lead to better storm water drainage and a reduced risk of flooding in the area. Work will begin next week on the 2000 and 2100 blocks of Birchwood (between Damen and Hoyne) and will expand to other streets in the area over the next few months.
After the sewer main installation is completed, work crews will install ADA-compliant sidewalk ramps, repair damaged parkways, and resurface affected streets.
Below is a map that highlights the blocks of streets, which will receive new sewers:
Section A (construction begins next Monday, July 24th, with completion estimated in early September):
- Birchwood from Damen to Hoyne
- Seeley from alley south of Birchwood to alley north of Birchwood
- Hoyne from Birchwood to alley north of Birchwood
Section B (construction begins in early August with completion estimated in mid-September):
- Seeley from Jarvis to Fargo
Section C (construction begins mid-August with completion estimated in late September):
- Bell from 400 feet north of Birchwood to Howard
- Oakley from 400 feet north of Birchwood to Howard
- Claremont from 200 feet north of Birchwood to Howard
Section D (construction begins late August with completion estimated in late October):
- Chase from Hamilton to Western
- Bell from Chase to 200 feet north of Chase
- Oakley from Chase to alley north of Chase
- Claremont from Chase to alley north of Chase
During construction, you will experience temporary inconveniences:
- Work hour parking restrictions, limited as much as possible to active construction sites and areas where equipment must be stored. “No Parking” signs will be posted as needed during work hours, generally from 7 a.m. to 4 p.m. Parking will be permitted overnight, but cars must be moved by the start of the next workday. Workers will try to preserve as much parking as possible.
- Residential streets may be closed to vehicular traffic for safety reasons while work is taking place on a particular block, but pedestrian access will always be maintained. Outside of working hours, a single travel lane will be left open for local traffic only.
- Some minor, unforeseen disruptions to water service may occur, but will be repaired that same day.
Joel Kennedy Construction Corp. will perform the work. Joel Kennedy, president of the company, told me that his company has completed more than 100 construction projects in Chicago, and never once missed a project completion date.
I mention this pertinent fact because I know the water main installation project on Touhy, performed by another contractor, has been beset with delays. Kennedy assures me that barring any unforeseen events, his company will adhere to the estimated completion dates.
This brings us to the sticky topic of resurfacing and final site restoration. Though Kennedy Construction is willing to guarantee that the sewer main installation work in the project area will be finished by the end of October with concrete caps poured, the streets may not be resurfaced until spring 2018.
Asphalt manufacturing plants typically close before the end of construction season. If construction is completed before the asphalt plants close, the streets will be resurfaced this year.
Finally, the Department of Water Management just informed me they plan to install new water mains this year on the 1900-2200 blocks of Birchwood (from Winchester to Ridge). I will work with the Department to make sure that they work in conjunction with the sewer main project to minimize disruption as much as possible. I will update you when the final details are worked out.
Status of Touhy Water Main work
The end is near on this project. Here’s the update:
Touhy west of Ridge
- All new water connections to homes and business are complete. Contractor NPL will pour the final concrete caps over trenches in the street next week. City crews will resurface Touhy later this year after all Touhy work east of Ridge is complete.
Streets north of Touhy, west of Ridge
- Hamilton: All homes have been connected to the new water main and concrete caps poured. NPL will resurface later this year.
- Bell: All homes will be connected to the new water main by Friday. Concrete cap pouring to cover street trenches is scheduled for Saturday. NPL will resurface later this year.
- Oakley: All homes have been connected to the new water main. Most concrete caps have been poured. The remaining trenches will be covered with concrete caps by early August. NPL will resurface later this year.
Touhy, Wolcott to Clark
- Work is continuing this week to connect all homes to the new water main. Concrete cap pouring will follow. Estimated completion date is early August.
Touhy, Ridge to Wolcott
- After work is completed from Wolcott to Clark, crews will flush the new water main, pressure-test it and chlorinate it at Wolcott. Then all homes will be connected to the new water main and concrete caps will be poured. Estimated completion date is mid-August.
Street resurfacing area-wide
- City crews will resurface Touhy later this year after all Touhy work is complete.
- NPL will resurface work areas north of Touhy on Hamilton, Bell (to Chase) and Oakley. The 7300 block of Bell will be resurfaced after the sewer main work north of Chase is complete.