Now is your chance to put the phrase “Think globally, act locally” to work here in Rogers Park and Edgewater, and help make the 49th Ward a true environmentally sustainable community.
This Saturday, November 3rd, I will host an all-day Chicago Conservation Corps In-Service Training for the 49th Ward Green Corps, a group of Rogers Park and Edgewater residents committed to building a more sustainable community. A few openings remain for this first-of-its-kind class, sponsored by the City of Chicago Department of Environment
Explore Chicago’s most pressing environmental issues and what you can do about them. Participate in hands-on demonstrations, “big picture” talks from experts, open discussion, case studies, and small group working sessions.
Even if you already have a good understanding of environmental issues, you will learn new things in this course. Special attention is given to building grassroots community organizing skills. Experts will share their real-world experience with you, making important connections for future actions. None of us can do it alone!
The training session will last from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m., and will take place here in the 49th Ward. It will cover conservation principles and skills in five key areas:
Water: conserve water, manage stormwater, and improve water quality;
- Land: improve urban land; recycle and reuse materials;
- Air and Energy: use alternative energies and make choices to promote clean and healthy air inside and out;
- Community Organizing: recruit and manage volunteers, lead community projects;
- Project Development: assess needs, manage a budget, make a plan and carry it out.
The trainees will then put their new knowledge and skills to work by developing and implementing environmental service projects within the 49th Ward with the support of my office and the 49th Ward Green Corps Leadership Circle, a group of respected leaders in the environmental movement who have agreed to lend their advice and expertise to our Green Corps initiative.
Some of the service projects 49th Ward Green Corps members are developing include:
- Creating a “How-to-Green Your Building” DVD for distribution to condominium associations, co-op boards, property management companies, tenant associations and property owners.
- Distributing free eco-friendly reusable shopping bags for patrons of our local grocery stores and markets.
- Implementing recycling programs in large multi-unit buildings.
Help us grow this list and make the 49th Ward a national model for grass-roots sustainability projects. Become a part of the 49th Ward Green Corps and participate in our training this Saturday, November 3rd!
If you would like to join us for this training, and will commit to develop and perform at least one service project in the 49th Ward, please complete the e-mail, and fax or deliver it to my office no later than 9am Wednesday, October 31st. My e-mail, fax number and office address are listed below.
Space is limited, so apply now! Applications will be accepted on a first-come, first served basis only.
Address: 7356 N. Greenview, Chicago