As a result of construction work on the new traction power substation at Farwell and Glenwood, Red Line trains heading north to Howard will bypass the Bryn Mawr, Thorndale, Granville, Loyola, Morse, and Jarvis stations this weekend from 12:01 a.m. Saturday, March 22nd, to 2:00 a.m. Monday, March 24th.
If you wish to travel north from these stations, take a 95th-bound train to Berwyn and transfer to a Howard-bound train. If you wish to travel to these stations from points south, take a Howard-bound train to Howard and transfer to a 95th-bound train.
In addition, the following street and parking restrictions will be enforced from 9:00 p.m. Friday, March 21st, to 5:00 a.m. Monday, March 24th:
- Farwell will be closed from southbound Glenwood (west of the tracks) to Wayne.
- Two-way traffic will be allowed on Farwell from Greenview to Glenwood.
- Southbound Glenwood will be closed to local traffic only from Morse to Farwell.
- Southbound Glenwood will be closed from Farwell to Pratt.
- Parking will be prohibited on the north side of Farwell from Greenview to Glenwood.
- Parking will be prohibited on both sides of Farwell from Glenwood to Wayne.
- Parking will be prohibited on southbound Glenwood from Morse to Pratt.
Finally, construction noise, including the sounding of horns, will take place periodically throughout the weekend in the vicinity of Farwell and Glenwood.
The work is taking place this weekend to minimize disruption to rush hour commuters during the weekday.
The new substation is designed to boost the electrical power on the tracks, which will help increase train speed and service reliability and reduce “slow zones” on the far north Red Line. For more information on the substation project, CLICK HERE.
As always, if major changes in the work plan or schedule occur, I will let you know immediately through my electronic newsletter and postings on my Facebook page.
If you have any questions, please contact my office at firstname.lastname@example.org or the CTA directly through Jeff Wilson, the CTA’s Government and Community Relations Officer, email@example.com.