I am writing to invite you to attend a community meeting to review a proposal for a packaged goods liquor license for a new store at 6928 N. Glenwood (just south of Morse). The meeting will be held on Monday, July 13th, 7:00 p.m., at the proposed store location.
The applicants for the proposed license are William Meek and Erik Archambeault, who currently own Rogers Park Social at 6920 N. Glenwood. William and Erik plan to open a store called Rogers Park Provisions at which they intend to sell cheese and charcuterie, gifts, craft spirits, higher-end wines and craft beers.
The location (see photo on right) recently was a gift shop named Armilla. The owners of Armilla closed the store because of health issues involving one of the shop owners.
In order to carry packaged liquor, William and Erik must obtain a packaged goods liquor license from the City of Chicago. Before they can apply for the license, however, they must obtain a special use permit from the City of Chicago Zoning Board of Appeals, as the building is zoned B3-3, and they must convince me to introduce in the City Council an ordinance to lift a moratorium on new packaged goods licenses that currently exists in the area.
The moratorium extends on both sides of Glenwood from Pratt to Lunt. If the City Council were to adopt an ordinance lifting the moratorium, it could not be re-imposed for one year.
Lifting a moratorium does not automatically entitle an applicant to a liquor license; it simply gives the applicant the right to apply for a license. He or she still must satisfy the City’s criteria for a liquor license and the application is subject to the approval of the City of Chicago’s Local Liquor Control Commissioner. The opinion of the local alderman and the community may influence the Commissioner’s decision, but the Commissioner retains final authority over whether the license will be issued.
The Liquor Control Commissioner may at his discretion require the applicant sign a legally binding “Liquor License Plan of Operation,” which places various conditions on the license. Any violation of the agreement may result in the imposition of a fine or a suspension or revocation of the license.
I will make a final decision on whether to introduce an ordinance lifting the moratorium after receiving input from those who attend the community meeting or send comments to my office. I encourage you to attend the meeting to offer your opinions of the proposal. If you are unable to attend, please feel free to reply to this e-mail with your thoughts and suggestions.