The 49th Ward Service Office provides unpaid internships for local university students on an ongoing basis. Depending on the school, interns may be able to get class credit.
Typically, interns will spend most of their time in the Ward Service Office at 7356 N. Greenview (1/4 block from the Jarvis Red-Line stop). There also will be opportunities to attend meetings at City Hall, including committee and full council meetings. Job duties and responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Interaction with constituents, often one-on-one, in person and by phone, to help them access appropriate city services, permits, licenses, tax rebates, tenants’ rights, and more.
- Logging and tracking constituent requests in the city’s 311 system.
- Continuing ongoing projects to survey and record business uses on 49th Ward commercial streets, including Sheridan Road, Morse and Glenwood Avenues, Howard Street and Clark Street.
- Other miscellaneous duties such as creating Google maps, updating databases, and conducting research on topics useful to the office.
- Volunteering as ward events such as the Spring Cleanup, Back to School Picnic, and Trash to Treasure Swap.